Dirt Road Journey's

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ~Ursula K. Le Guin

Saturday, May 14, 2005

The Great City

Bury my head in the sand
Stuff cotton in my ears
Please stop circling,
It's getting hot in here.

All I asked was a day alone
so that I could forget
about building Rome

In you swept to steal your place
I can't even look you straight in the face.
If I was naive maybe I could say
that I could be happy living this way.

But you won't step back
and you're forcing your way
and you've taken the thought out of my day

Crowding yourself into my brain
making me feel full of shame
The truth is hard to tell,
but lately I've been just a shell

My gut so sick with anxiety of the truth
Looking back, I have spent all of my youth
on a plan that was forged
when I was not in my head

When I woke up,
I was already dead
over and over I tried to tell you
that things weren't right
but you didn't listen

Now that I'm at my wits end,
you decide that maybe you could be a friend
It won't stick and I don't think that I want it to

The times when I've felt happy
have been few and far
My ship drifted out before you were born
If I could, then I would
But it's been a long time comin'

Rome wasn't built in just one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home