Dirt Road Journey's

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ~Ursula K. Le Guin

Friday, May 20, 2005

Dignity in the Dirt

Thursday nights...
My typical night out.
Last night, which conveniently was Thursday,
the Decemberists were playing at The Intersection
in downtown Grand Rapids.


I got out of work and headed over to Kit's house
to meet up with everyone for the show.
The whole day had poured rain and was
basically kind of depressing.
I came from an unusual direction and ended up lost.
I drove and drove and my windows fogged up
and my temper started to peak out.
How could I be lost here?
Why can't I find my way?
See you later brain, come again some other day.

Finally at her house...

Took a deep breath, got a grip.
I was still the first one there.
Nothing to worry about.
Sat down at the table and smoked a little.
Ahhhh. Much better, friend.
Hello to Jen.
Helped (or hindered) Kit pick out some clothes.
Hello to Steven.
Time to go.

Feeling a little blue, not really into going.
Go anyway, whiny baby!
We walked in, so many seemingly like-minded people!
Intimate view, wonderful sound.

Stood there with my beer and my thoughts.
The band was so good.
They sounded so together.

I realized that I had been bobbing to the music.
God, don't be that girl!

I walked through the people toward the front.
Found a good spot to stand and listen up.
This band came highly recommended.
No disappointment came from me,
none that I detected.
Such great energy,
Such great musicians!

The time went by so fast, I didn't want it to end.
We begged for an encore!
Out they came to finish up with
"The Mariner's Revenge Song!"

Hey man, it's only 9 o'clock!
Ended up at The Black Rose Irish Pub.
Fun evening, good conversation.
Gotta head out, have to work in the morning.

Drove home in a funk.
Don't think I had one real thought the whole way.
Got home at 11:00 and was too
wound up to sleep.

I checked my mail
and low and behold,
3 new messages from
the one who had told
me about this band and about this show.

Oh how I wanted to tell you
that I wished you had gone.
What fun you would have had!
But we stopped talking a few days ago...
I opened the messages with massive anxiety.
What's this? I'm so confused.

These messages were written and sent 10 days ago!
I had never seen them and didn't know why
the universe would be so sick to drop them by
on the day that I had gone to the show that was yours.
And put the thoughts of you right back in my head.

I was trying hard to not feel sad.
In the back of my mind,
I thought that I could be okay with the unknown.
But when I saw the lovely lines
that you had written,
I quickly remembered why I keep longing.

What a fucking loser!
I'm trying to rhyme!
I'm so much cooler
When I'm just a friend.


My friend, my dignity is in the dirt.
if you're out there some where...
oh me, oh my, oh.....
You will never be forgotten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home