Dirt Road Journey's

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ~Ursula K. Le Guin

Saturday, June 11, 2005

I'm one of those people who finds bands that they really like and then gets pissy when they explode into explotative oblivion. If I have a T-shirt of the band, then I won't wear it for fear of looking like a band-wagoner. If they show up on MTV with a symphony orchestra - even worse...

That's where I'm at with Coldplay. Once revered as one of my top 5 bands; slightly put off by "Yellow" being on MTV... recovering briefly - only to have them come back with avengence and turn into the next Ricky Martin, only worse because they're being shamefully promoted by money hungry exectutives that turn around and peddle Jessica Simpson and the like at the same time. Ick.

I had an idle moment today and started using my super attention defecit power to surf cable for a minute. I stumbled upon this snippet on VH1 about how Coldplay was the kind of music that you put on for soft sex or the kind of music you listen to in a pair of Dockers. Man, I consider myself a little knowledgeable about music and I have shamelessly promoted the quality of their sound. Now all of a sudden I feel embarrassed & disappointed that they are everywhere.

To add insult to injury, I was thumbing through an issue of GQ at the salon and there was this write up about Coldplay being everywhere. I even secretly tore the page out so that I could bitch about it here. There are so many other things that matter that I could bitch about, but I'm busy at the moment!

The article started out with "How Cool is Coldplay?" Then it went on to say that they "used to be your little secret. But a couple of albums, a movie star wife and one Apple later, they belong to everyone. Including your mom ." You know what? My mom even likes them. Of course she is cool and smart, but that is beside the point. It's all of those other idiots out there that jump on the band wagon and like them for a minute while their hot. Leaving the real fans out there thinking that they don't want to be confused with the lemmings.

It went on to say that "It's hard to peg the exact moment when a band crosses the line separating mere popularity from supreme ubiquity. One minute they're just a band - making records, playing shows... The next they are everywhere." Later saying that "Many, many people will enjoy this album (X&Y) and flock to hear it played live, possibly wearing golf shirts and drinking caffeinated beer. You may choose to consider it uncool."

I know I'm not going to show up at all, let alone in dockers and a golf shirt! (Although I do have to admit that I have X & Y on order!) I suppose that you could make this same argument with almost any great band... But, the over saturation of most things inevitably leads to sinking ships. I don't want to see anyone fail, so why put the emphasis on a band that isn't failing?

I'm glad they have fat paychecks. Good for them, they deserve it, but keep the orchestra out of it. They're a rock band, damn it!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home