Dirt Road Journey's

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ~Ursula K. Le Guin

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

My Life on the Road With Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers

If only it could be that dramatic!

We stood out front of the arena waiting with anticipation for our group to collect and head in. We could hear that The Black Crowes had already taken the stage. We weaved through many a hippie to get to our seats. Upon entrance through the curtains, we could smell the thick blanket of Nag Champa incense emanating from the stage.

The stage was set almost as it had been over a decade ago when I first saw them perform in Lansing. Thick oriental rug, candelabras everywhere, one or more band members bare foot and an old organ with enough character to be in a Woody Allen movie... The Grand Rapids Press complained that they just played "jam songs" and skipped the crowd favorites like "Remedy." How Lame. I can't believe that anyone can listen to "Wiser Time" and not love it. But that is why most people suck. Out on stage, they seemed very together and Chris Robinson's vocals were just right.

"No time left now for shame
Horizon behind me, no more pain
Windswept stars blink and smile
Another song, another mile
You read the line every time
Ask me about crime in my mind
Ask me why another read song
Funny but I bet you never left home"

I was just as excited to see the Crowes again as I was to see Tom Petty. While I've always liked Tom Petty, he was never a staple in my repertoire like the Crowes were. I was a casual listener with an interest in the Travelling Wilbury's, etc...

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised! Their almost 30 years of touring has really hammered out all of the kinks.

The manner in which they approached the whole show was so down to earth. I stood there next to my seat with goose bumps when they started right out with "Breakdown." I forgot how much I liked that song. But my personal favorite was when they covered The Animals song "I'm Cryin." I have a soft spot for The Animals and since they were broken up by the time I was born, I wouldn't have ever guessed that I'd hear one of their songs live! I drunkenedly danced with fervor! They followed up with "Running Down a Dream," "Don't come around here no more," and a new song called "Melinda."

"Melinda" started out a little slow, but ended up taking your breath away with it's dominating piano work. Benmont Tench, their pianist of 16 years, whom they call the "new guy," is very talented and is interesting to watch play. He played flawlessly while almost head banging (for lack of a better term) to the music long enough for the whole band to take a smoke break!

This show was one of the best that I have ever been to. It was one of those times when you stand there and stare at the set and the roadies and imagine being on the road with a band and actually being a part of creating something with other people rather than just sitting here talking about how great it was. I thought "man, how could I be a part of this in some way?" How do I get one of these rock and roll jobs?

...Wake up! It's getting late and you have to work in the morning. "If we leave now, we can beat the traffic rush!" Back to reality...but my time on the road with Tom Petty was well spent!

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

The crowes were good, but fuck them for not at least playing something the wifey was familiar with.

7/06/2005 6:51 PM  
Blogger Camptown said...

That's YOUR opinion, loser! hahaha.

7/06/2005 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home