Dirt Road Journey's

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ~Ursula K. Le Guin

Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Be Good Tanyas

If you've never heard of The Be Good Tanyas, I recommend that you check them out. The band consists of 3 women from Vancouver, B.C. They've been described as a band for those that are "thirsty for real backwoods hooch." (lol) We've had "Chinatown" since last winter and I've spent a lot of time letting that disc spin over and over in my car.

When we drove up Highway 1 on the Pacific Coast on an unusually warm day in February, we popped Chinatown in as the sun warmed our faces driving through Napa Valley. You can imagine the wonderful association that I have with that day, that music and the love present.

On my recent trip to Virginia, we lazed around the campfire and again let the songs play while we talked and drank wine. My favorite song "Ship out on the sea" gives me goose bumps every time I hear it.

"I'm a ship, I'm a ship, I'm a ship
Out on the sea
None of my love
Floating wild come back to me
So I write you a letter, I'll write you a letter
With this here pen
Don't make me wait, don't make me wait
Cos I'm your friend...

Plant me in the garden
Don't you let me roam
Cuz love is a feeling like a warm dark stone
Plant me in the garden
Don't you let me roam"
(lyrics from Ship out on the sea.)

They also do a couple of covers on this album including "Waiting around to Die" by Townes Van Zandt. Sometimes Frazey's soulful singing stirs - how to explain? - Um, Billy Holiday feelings within me...

I just love them. I hope they come out with more albums as their last release was in 2003! Check them out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home